Monday, February 10, 2014

Book: Slammed

Let me continue with introducing you the books of one of my favourite authors, Colleen Hoover. This time, I will share the first book I have read from her – Slammed. Okay, this is another Contemporary Romance novel that I have read, but this is exceptionally written. It is because of this book that made me think of how genius of a writer Colleen Hoover is. I mean, I have read a lot of books, literally a lot. They made my heart hurt; they made me sad; they made me cry. But Colleen did not only make me feel all of these feelings; she also inspired me to write poems again (and even listen to Avett Brothers!).    This book does not only contain the story; it contains a lot of poems that can make you feel more.

---
Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope.
Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.
Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart.
---

Here are some of the exceptional poems and passages from the book.

“Life happens. Shit happens. And it happens a lot. To a lot of people.”

“Sometimes life gets in your way. 
it gets all up in your damn way. 
But it doesn't get all up in your damn way
because it wants you to just give up and let it take control. 
Life doesn't get all up in your damn way because it just wants you to hand it allover and be carried along. 

Life wants you to fight it
Learn how to make it your own. 
it wants you to grab and axe and hack through the wood. 
It wants you to get a sledgehammer and break through concrete. 
It wants you to grab a torch and burn through the metal and steel until you can reach through and grab it. 

Life wants you to grab all the organized, the alphabetized, thechronological, the sequenced. It wants you to mix it all together, 
stir it up,
blend it.” 

“Don't take life too seriously. Punch it in the face when it needs a good hit. Laugh at it.” 

“Push your boundaries, that's what they're there for.

“Question everything. Your love, your religion, your passions. If you don't have questions, you'll never find answers.”

“Keep an open mind; it's the only way new things can get in.”


“respect the hand that I was dealt. And to be grateful I was even dealt a hand.”


No comments:

Post a Comment